We always welcome new patients to our practice at Total Dental Care in Guntersville, AL!
A clinical exam is more commonly referred to as a routine check up. This check up lets your dentist essentially take inventory of the overall health of your mouth and teeth and diagnose any potential problems you may have.
At your initial exam, we will:
- Examine and assess gum health, and check for gum disease.
- Take and analyze two types of x-rays, which allow us to detect any tooth decay, bone loss, abscesses, tumors, cysts, and other problems.
- Perform a visual and tactile examination for oral cancer
- Perform an enhanced oral cancer screening using the VELscope technology
- Verify the stability of any existing fillings or other restorations.
- Inform you of all findings and make treatment recommendations.
- In most cases, we will also scale and polish your teeth at the same visit.
The X-rays taken during the exam are important because the majority of problems with your teeth and jawbone are not visible to the naked eye. The x-rays provide a more accurate look at what is really going on inside your mouth, below your teeth and gums. This allows us to check for any bone loss and determine the severity of any possible gum disease.
In addition to revealing any hidden problems, these x-rays will also provide Dr. Harper and Dr. George with a benchmark with which to compare against during your future visits.
Please allow approximately 1½ hours for this visit. If you must reschedule, please provide at least 48 hours notice.
To schedule a new patient exam, or ask questions, please call us at 256-582-2248.